Solar panels produce significantly less power when shaded, so therefore it’s really important to locate the panels in full sun. If foliage is blocking the panels it is definitely best to prune it back so it is not throwing any shadow on the solar panels.
If it’s not possible to have the panels in full sun all day then to maximise the power output of your system you really want to make sure that the panels are in full sun at least for the hours between 10am and 2pm – this time during the middle of the day is when your solar power system will be producing the most power as the sun is at the best angle to the panels.
Learn why shading is an issue and how you can minimise it with the following video:
- Does the temperature affect how much power solar panels make?
- Mono or Polycrystalline solar panels – does it matter?
- Solar Power Production on the Gold Coast – What can I expect?
- Solar Panel Efficiency – Does it matter?
- Solar Panels are different – Does it matter which solar panel?
- Solar Panel diodes – what are they and what do they do?